Particulars of Organization, Functions & Duties
[Section-4 (1) (b) (i)]
Aims & Objectives of the Organization:
Odisha Renewable Energy Development Agency (OREDA), under the Department of Science & Technology, Government of Odisha, is a society under Societies Registration Act-1860. The main objectives of this Agency, in the development of New & Renewable Sources of Energy, are:
- To encourage the development & accelerated utilization of Renewable Energy sources wherever they are technically & economically viable.
- To improve the access to & availability of Renewable, Decentralized Sources particularly for rural population.
- To contribute towards balanced rural & urban development as well as development of backward, hilly & tribal areas by enabling the use of locally available Decentralized, Renewable Energy Sources.
- To create gainful employment opportunity with due importance for ensuring greater access for women & other disadvantages groups to employment opportunities.
- To reduce environmental degradation resulting from deforestation.
Mission & Vision:
Promote Research, Development and popularization of Non-Conventional and Renewable Sources of Energy.
- 10% of all new power capacity addition for the period up to 2012 to come from Renewable Energy (RE).
- Cover all Remote unelectrified villages through Renewable by 2012.
- Accelerate use of Renewable Energy Technologies in all sectors of the economy.
Brief History & Background for it's Establishment:
Odisha Renewable Energy Development Agency (OREDA) was registered under the Societies Registration Act-1860 and came into being on 17.2.1984.
Allocation of business:
Development of Renewable Energy Resources
- Promotion and Development of Renewable Sources of Energy and Technologies comprising of Bio-energy, Wind Energy, Solar Energy, Wave and Tidal Energy and other new sources of energy.
- Conservation of Energy & promotion of energy saving devices.
- Administration of OREDA
- Implementation of IREP Programme including Urjagram.
- Development and Promotion of Appropriate Technologies.
- Duties to be performed to achieve the Mission: Stated as at point-5 (Allocation of business).
Details of Services Rendered:
The Agency has been rendering services since its existence i.e. 17.2.1984 on promotion and development of Renewable Sources of Energy & Technologies.