Particulars of Organization, Functions & Duties
[Section-4 (1) (b) (i)]
Objective/Purpose of the Public Authority:
Advising other departments and the Drafts prepared by them in respect of statutory Rules, Notifications, Orders, etc. or of bye-law to be issued by Administrative Departments and giving them a scrutiny before their final publication. Preparation of the annual compilation of Odisha Laws. Drafting of all Official Bills and Ordinances of different departments of Govt. in accordance with the Memorandum approved by the Council of Ministers. In addition it other purposes are look after the affairs of Lord Shri Jagannath, Puri, the Legal Aid programmes, the Hindu Religious Endowments, the Muslim Wakf Institutions, Establishment of Courts, Appointment of Notaries, Publication of Odisha Codes as well as Premature Release of Prisoners.
Mission/Vision Statement of the Public Authority:
Mission of the public authority has been reflected in the following Acts and Rules.
- Odisha Hindu Marriage Registration Rules,1960.
- Hindu Widows Re-marriage Act,1856-Repeated by CA 24/83.
- Marriages Validation Act,1892.
- Converts Marriage dissolution Act,1866.
- Indian Divorce Act,1869.
- Indian Christian Marriage Act.
- The Marriage Restraint Act,1929.
- Hindu Marriage (Validation of proceedings) Act,1960.
- Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act,1969.
- Foreign Marriage Act , 1969.
- Special Marriage Act,1954.
- Anand Marriage Act,1909.
- Arya Marriage Validation Act,1937.
Brief History of the Public Authority and Context of its Formation:
Law Department is created to discharge function as per the subject allotted under Govt. Rules of Business.
Duties of the Public Authority:
Duties as assigned under the Govt. Rules of Business.
Main activities/ Functions of the Public Authority:
As mentioned above
List of Services being provided by the Public Authority with a brief write-up on them:
- Administrative of Justice including constitution, powers, maintenance and organization of courts of civil and criminal jurisdiction within the state.
- Release of transported convicts.
- Sanction to the defenses of public servants at the expense of Govt. in civil and criminal cases.
- Republication of the Bills and Acts of the Parliament in the Odisha Gazette in consultation with the Administrative Deptts. concerned.