Particulars of Organization, Functions & Duties
[Section-4 (1) (b) (i)]
1. Objectives/purpose of the Public Authority:
The Odisha Special Armed Police, 4th Battalion, Rourkela is a part of Odisha Police, engaged in maintaining law & order as per the direction of State Police Hdqrs., Cuttack. One ODRAF contingent under Odisha State Disaster Mitigation Authority known as Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force is functioning in this Unit to assist the Civil Administration during natural calamities as per instructions of higher authority.
2. Mission/vision statement of the Public Authority:
To maintain law & order as per the directives of State Police Headquarters, Cuttack.
3. Brief History of the public authority and context of its formation:
In view of the serious communal flare up in the Western Districts of the state, particularly in Rourkela and its sub-urbs during March, 1964 assuming serious law and order problem action was taken to call the Army in aid of the civil administration to maintain law and order. So also Madras, Andhra pradesh special Armed Police brought in subsequently to replace the Army involving huge expenditure from the State Exchequer, Govt. of Odisha sanctioned to the formation of 4th battalion of Odisha Military Police (Now Odisha Special Armed Police) with its headwuarters at Rourkela vide Govt. Order No. 15840/ P, dt.4.6.1965 and Govt Order No. 15870/P, dt. 4.6.1965 with the composition of 2 Gurkha Companies and 2 Rajput Companies initially to look into the security of the Hindustan Steel Limited, Rourkela (Now SAIL, RSP (Rourkela) till they were relieved by Central Industrial Security Force, on 1.3.1975.
4. Duties of the Public Authority:
The Head office is designated as Commandant who is the public Authority as per R.T.I. Act, 2005. Development of force as per the direction of State Police Hdqrs, is the major task of the Public Authority. Besides internal administration of the Battalian/ management of force are also coming under the purview of the Public Authority.
5. Main activities/functions of the Public Authority:
Deployment of force/deputation of ODRAF Team is the main function of the public Authority.
6. List of services being provided by the public authority with a brief write-up on them:
Deputation of force for enforcing law order and ODRAF Team during natural calamity for rescue and relief.
7. Organizational Structure Diagram at various levels namely State, Directorate, region district, block etc.(whichever is applicable):
It is a single Unit Office with Commandant as the Head of Office and also the Public Authority. Apart from this One Dy. Commandant, 8 Asst. Commandants and other subordinate officers/ men are working in this Unit with a total strength of 1211.
8. Expectation of the public authority from he public for enhancing its effectiveness and efficiently:
This Unit to a great extent is not a public concerned Office directly.
9. Mechanism available for monitoring the service delivery and public grievance resolution:
Public grievance is being heard on every Saturday except Govt. Holidays from 10.00 A.M. To 5.00 P.M.
10. Address of the main office and other offices at different levels. (please categories the address district wise for facilating the understanding by the user):
Commandant, O.S.A.P., 4th Bn. Rourkela, Sector-21, Dist. Sundargarh, Pin Code- 769010 (Odisha)
11. Morning hours of the Office:
From 10.00 A.M. To 1.30 P.M.
12. Closing hours of the office:
While all efforts have been made to make this website as authentic as possible, I & PR deptt. and Luminous Infoways will not be responsible for authentication of proactive disclosure and annual report. Respective department and Public Authority is responsible for their information. Users are advised to verify/check any information with the relevant department(s) and/or other source(s), before acting on the information provided in the Portal.